Monday, September 24, 2007

Oregon-Stanford game debacle at Magoo's, and Pac-10 TV coverage

First off, I've been to Magoo's Tavern in Salem many times to watch the Ducks play "non-televised" games, because they've been successful in finding the wild feed off of their big, ugly satellite dish in the past. Not last Saturday night, however. The game started at 7 p.m., and as of 7:45, they were still looking for it. Needless to say, many fans, including myself, left... disappointed. Did anyone else experience issues locating the Duck game on TV as well around Oregon? Did Magoo's finally ever get the feed?

Luckily, I got back my cover charge, but the game's just not the same, listening to it on the radio. OSN radio guy Jerry Allen fumbles around too much in describing the game. It's usually painful to listen to, and it takes me 30 seconds just to figure out what the play was. Watching the replay the next day just doesn't do it for me either... since the outcome had been long decided.

Which brings me to my next point, the Pac-10 prohibits more than one game to be shown on television, in the same time slot. So why in the world did the Pac-10 allow three games be scheduled at the same time, with the very first game starting at 3 p.m.? Couldn't the conference teams space out the starting time of the games, say beginning at 12:30, giving more teams the opportunity to be seen on TV? Conferences like the SEC and Big Ten are killing us in the race to televise games. That should be unacceptable to the Pac-10! If we got more games on TV, then maybe, I wouldn't have to worry about standing around in a crowded bar, wondering if a road game's available to watch live. I can just sit on my couch at home, and only concern myself with cheering on the Ducks.

At least ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Eugene this week. At least one thing's for sure... I'll be wearing something with "Oregon Ducks" on it.

3 comments:

isabel322 said...

Totally agree...it's a stupid Pac 10 rule. We'll need our A game on Saturday for sure.

UOregonTK said...

Todd--question for you, going to the game on Saturday, is there a good chartered service from Salem to Eugene that Duck fans use? Amtrak is full, so that's not much of an option, and I'd rather not drive, I plan to enjoy a few of Eugene's finest beers. Thanks!

th_goducks94 said...

Oh man, I really have no idea on a charter bus. I'm sure they are out there, but I just don't know. We drive down for each game, but I'm the designed driver, and we usually have a full boat. A suggestion: the Oregon Club luncheon at Creekside this Friday at noon, may be a good place to ask around for transportation. Hope that helps.